Поиск по этому блогу

четверг, 20 сентября 2012 г.

Erich Maria Remarque's Spark of Life

Surprisely, some authors are more popular in other countries than in their native land. For example, in Russia people revere Ernest Hemingway (which only 1 of 15 young Americans know) and Erich Maria Remarque.
This time I'd like to tell you about my favourite Remarque's book that is Spark of Life. It seems strange, but this book is rarely read hardly known even by people who are reputed to be literature-lovers. If you ask to somebody about Remarque, you will probably hear about Three Comrades, the Black Obelisk, Arch of Triumph, All Quiete on the Western Front and, possibly, Shadows in Paradise (that is the same book as the Promised Land, by in other edition). However, I think that the Spark of Life is one of the greatest books ever. Although it includes some commoin for all Remarque's books ideas, it is quite different and makes a great impression (I don't mean his other books do not - all of them are great, but some are greater than others - I liked less Gam, the Night in Lisbon and an other book that I think wasn't edited in English, it's name can be translated as Borrowed Life (Geborgtes Leben))
The plot of the book tells us about the life in German concentration camp in the last months of the 2nd World War. Main hero doesn't have name - only a number, 509. It can be understood as a sign of that any of us could be on his place or maybe that during this terrible time people lost their previous life, their beliefs, their identity and even their names.
 I don't want to tell the whole detailed story because I think that some of you would like to read this book and I can't ruin such a great impression that, for example, I had when I read this book for the first time.

Комментариев нет: